Sunday, November 26, 2006

alone... on purpose

i did it.

i spent the last 36 hours by myself. for your introverts, you are not impressed. for you extro's... be proud of me, cause i finally did it. i have been wanting a "personal" weekend for so long... the only other time i have done it was in italy this past summer, which was of course incredible, but also, i mean it was italy... you can do anything there.

no, this time, it was different. a bigger challenge (especially in the winter weather and in the midst of regular life), taking time away to be alone, to think, to be with my thoughts, was a feat i didnt know i could accomplish-- but i did do it and i am glad.

i feel more exhausted than i have in a LONG time and thats saying a lot, since i have recently been pretty tired in the new job/new relationship/general wear and tear of life. but this is the best kind of exhausted.

some of the observations of a day and a half alone:

my thoughts are consuming, my brain on hyperdrive so much of the time, that its like this dog gnawing a bone where the meat and flavor is all gone, but it still gnaws. time alone is exhausting, cause no one is there to stop you from gnawing.

time alone does not equal instant spiritual enlightenment, per say.... it does give you nice insights into things, good observations, time to let thoughts unfold. but its way more normal and mundane than i expected, which is a relief. i didnt know if i was capable of sustaining instant spiritual enlightment.

i LOVE being in new places, exploring new towns and new streets. its enlivening to me, i dont know if i can explain it. but i do love it so much and i got to do it a lot this weekend. walking around downtown palo alto, i felt very carrie in sex and the city. like any conversation could become a new way to see something, like possibility was everywhere, like i was capable and able and (gasp!) very comfortable on my own. there's kristin, alone, eating a yummy sandwich at pluto's. ah, there she is again, walking down the street in the rain, soaking in the atmosphere, the wind, the wet converse, the people, leaves fall, laughter. here we find her browsing borders, reading interesting things by intellectual and pop culuturally saavy people. ah, look at her sipping tea, reading her book, laughing, rubbing cold socks on cold feet, wishing for a heater. (ah, is self observation and narration narcissistic or cute?)

driving all these new places, i got lost a lot... and it made me laugh. God, in his little way, was teaching me the whole-God is in control, knows the directions, is in charge, its ok to be lost and find your way again-thing.

going to dinner alone... not as terrifying as you would think. its, well, enjoyable. you pick up on things from people, situations, much more easily. you soak things up. you worry less about silence. people looked at me with sympathy, but i just smiled, assured in eating my pasta and bread and coke on my own.

going to a movie alone... also not so bad. great, even. especially when the movie makes you think and ponder writing, life, meaning, death, fate, control. and you leave feeling empowered and stronger simply because you did something normal, totally alone.

9 comments:

Gibbytron said...

Congrats to you!!! See, it isn't that bad afterall. I learned in Colorado to "embrace the solitude." It's a good practice; I actually saw a concert BY MYSELF for the first time. It was awesome! I find that God gives us the space to enjoy and communicate with him in a different and unique way than we can just being in community. I, like you, am generally an extrovert, so initially it wasn't easy to be "alone," but this past year He has taught me to no longer simply endure those extended solo times, but to look forward to them. You should make more of a practice of it. You'll thank God and yourself. :)

Anonymous said...

Spending that much time alone as an extrovert IS an amazing feat. Since we are all hard-wired with specific "thinking" pathways in the brain as well as other "components", extroverts naturally feel drained when away from outside stimulation! Your outi-ness rocks! Kudos to you!

Anonymous said...

this makes me so happy. yes. happy. nothing more but just happy. did you get to hear those amazing natural secrets whispered in that Fall air? Isn't in incredible? Shhh...keep it a secret...!!!

caramac said...

HEALTHY is all I have to say.......congrats for conquering the unconquerable, my friend. :)

Jon said...

congratulations on the day away. you are now on your way to becoming the middle person (not to extroverted and not to introverted).

welcome to the land of goodness (or something like that).

Anonymous said...

I actually prefer to go to movies alone. I try and encourage people in my life to do this more often. It tends to become a genuinely more effective emotional experience and helps me draw my own thoughts and opinions. I am glad you were gone on Sunday although it is only because now I know what you were doing. Welcome back to the world of communication.

Rob

Alyssa said...

downtown PA is a wonderful place to be alone, I did it a lot this past spring when i was on my "alone vacation." it was amazing. and i'm very happy that you had fun!
-Alyssa

Shannon Marie said...

You know what my idea of a nightmare is ? Being with people for 36 hours. I think we need to combine forces (or behaviors) to acheive a good balance.

)(( hannah mello ))( said...

i love this day's descriptions-- the scenes-- tidbits of your life from the outside looking in-- as you wrote it from the lens of an outside movie camera... i love it. kristin-- hi. :) i miss you and i love you very much. december amore your way. :)