Tuesday, January 03, 2006

wrapping paper and a thousand places

i went to bookshop santa cruz the other day in a last minute attempt to buy a gift for my little brother, who was turning 20. As i cruised the magazine and gift card section, hoping for the perfect 20 year old brother present to come my way, i found the "Thousand Places to Go before you Die" Travel Journal. I remembered that a few months ago, my brother had surprised me by commenting that he would like to visit Europe one day. Now, this is the little brother who was an absolute terror to go anywhere with when we were kids. Everytime my parents thoughtfully selected a location for the family to travel to for some acculturation and familial bonding, he would throw a fit and complain that all he wanted to do was play video games and stay inside all day. When i heard he wanted to see Europe, my heart lept with joy, since i myself actually lived in England when i was 20 and 21 and found it to be one of the most life altering experiences i could ever imagine (i know how cliche that sounds, but its so true).

So, as i remember that conversation, i resolve to buy him this journal to encourage his travel spark to actually ignite into something tangible. As I head to the complimentary gift wrapping center in the back of the store, i am feeling like a pretty wonderful older sister for this thoughtful gift. As i began wrapping the gift, the woman next to me noticed the journal and commented:

"Ah, I have the book that goes along with that journal... we must be on similar journeys"

"Oh, yeah, actually, i bought it for my brother, he is turning 20 and i wanted to encourage him to travel, since i lived in England when i was 20," I replied, feeling immediately at home with this warm older woman.

"Oh that is wonderful!" she said.

"Yeah, it was life changing... so, have you been to the 'Thousand Places' yet?" i asked her, both of us wrapping our gifts.

"Yes, many of them! But i have never lived abroad, only travelled to the different places i have gone."

"Wow, thats great!!" I said, "I always think you have to live overseas to really travel extensively."

"No! I have been travelling for most of my life and i have seen so much!"

"That is so encouraging. I love travelling so much, but i worry i won't be able to go once i am married and have kids... i am thinking i have to squeeze it all in right now," i explained.

"Oh, well, yes, its good to try and go as much as you can right now, since you never know what will happen... but don't worry, you can travel throughout your whole life! I certainly did! I dragged my kid along and it was the best gift I could have ever given them!"

I couldnt believe that i was having this conversation. in the last few weeks, i have been thinking a lot about my desire to travel and wondering how it would work itself out in my life, sort of panicking that the longer i wait, the more i miss my chance to see the world.

After a short, thoughtful pause, I said with a giant smile, "Thanks you so much! Its so encouraging to hear that... Happy New Year!"

"The same to you" she said and she smiled and walked away.

Gift in hand for my little brother, i marvelled at how beautifully God can orchaestrate chance conversations and give us little gifts where we least expect them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is a lot to read - but it´s really nice ;-)

Gibbytron said...

Ok, so I just got back from Santa Cruz and now I have the travel bug again. Curse you!!!!

:)